L Events / AASA AGA 2022 / Presentation Downloads
Arabella Hotel, Golf & Spa
Cape Town, South Africa
13 to 16 October 2022
About the AGA
Office +27 (0)11 609 0050
Fax 086 511 2332
Minister Sisulu addresses the AASA AGA and Southern African region’s aviation industry at a critical juncture for our deeply interconnected and interdependent sectors. @LindiweSisuluSA #WeDoTourism
AASA’s industry priorities for the year ahead include:
- Competitiveness and sustainability.
- Ability to develop, connect and grow markets and unlock all the associated socio-economic benefits associated with aviation.
- Adoption and adaptation of digital solutions for the broadest advantage to all.
- Promotion of inclusivity, skills development, and employment opportunities.
- Regulatory compliance.
- Zero tolerance of corruption, unethical conduct, and bad governance.
In the year ahead, AASA will continue to participate in dialogues to achieve the following:
- Standardise and harmonise legislation.
- Financially incentivise sustainable aviation fuel initiatives.
- Provide for flexibility in the application of the monitoring mechanisms in the region.
- Allocate financial resources from governments for aviation decarbonisation.
Mr. Abdérahmane Berthé AFRAA, Secretary General
Constraints impacting African Airlines’ growth prospects include:
- African airlines operate with an average lower load factor than the world average.
- African operators’ average cost of the available seat-kilometer (CASK) is very high compared to other regions.
- Competing for market shares, African airlines charge less US Cents per Passenger-Kilometer-Carried than other regions’ air carriers on equivalent travel distances.
- Despite this, the average fare of passenger tickets in Africa, including taxes, is higher on equivalent travel distances.
- Consequently, with high fares and lower GDP per capita, air transport is not affordable for African citizens.
Mr. Kamil Al-Awadhi IATA, Regional Vice-President AME
Key priorities for Southern Africa include:
- Connectivity & Regulatory Reform.
- Planning & Preparedness.
- Environmental Sustainability.
- Taxes, Charges & Costs.
AASA Governance Auditor's Report & Financial Statements
Mr. Vivendra Lochan AASA, COO